Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hand, foot, mouth, what???

Oh yes, like I said in the previous post, August has been nothing like a relaxing time at home. Not even a week after I got home from Montana, Tyler started running a fever. The next day, he was so out of sorts that I took him to the doctor. Turns out, he had hand, foot, and mouth disease. (No, Daddy, it's not hoof and mouth disease, silly). It's nothing serious, but Tyler was just not himself. He had really bad blisters on the back of his throat which made it very hard to eat and swallow. Blisters slowly showed up on his hands, as well, which looked painful. He is now getting better, 7 days after the first symptoms. Kids are contagious for 7-10 days, though, so we have not gotten out of the house much. But we're very thankful he's feeling better now!

Then, on Thursday, Adam began running a fever. The doctor had told me not to worry about Adam catching HFM, because he had probably already been exposed to it, and you only react to it once. Well, I now believe he does have the virus. He's complained about a sore throat a little bit, and he continues to run a fever off and on. Today, I was looking at the thumb that he sucks, and sure enough, there are blisters on it. I do believe, however, that Adam is fighting the virus better since he's older. He's definitely not as miserable as Tyler was. So, looks like we'll be spending a lot of this week inside going nowhere, too! ugh!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Karen - yuck! I hope both of the both start feeling better soon, and I'm glad you are back in town. We need to get together soon! We missed you at Trey's wedding!

-Brooke