Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Piano Recital

As the school year came to a close this year, so did piano lessons. For the summer, that is. And as my first challenge ever to my students, we held a recital at the end of May. It was a great success! I am so proud of all my students - everyone memorized three pieces to play, and they all did a great job performing! I've really enjoyed teaching my girls this year, and I look forward to seeing them come back in September.


As a tribute to my grandmother who passed away last summer, I made her butterscotch pecan cookies for our recital celebration. My grandmother is the reason I got started with piano. She gave me her piano from the 1920's when I was 8 years old. And I haven't stopped playing it since! Actually, I can remember playing it while it was still housed at her home in Dublin, GA. I enjoyed tickling the ivories with my Granddaddy every time I visited. So it was only fitting to honor her with one of her delicious cookie recipes at my first ever piano recital as a teacher. She was a special woman and is dearly missed, but I know God is taking care of her in heaven!

2 comments:

The Applings said...

What a sweet tribute!

Carol H. said...

How exciting! And I would LOVE to try one of those yummy cookies the next time we see you. Any Florida travel plans?!?!? Miss you guys!