Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Our first emergency!!

We can now say, with raising two boys, we have had our first health emergency due to playing too hard. Adam was playing at Charlie's house, and the two of them were so excited coming down the stairs because we were talking about going to the pool for the first time this summer. As Adam approached the bottom of the stairs, he squatted really low and jumped up really fast, I believe to jump off the 2nd step. As he jumped up, he hit his head VERY hard on the corner of the banister. OUCH! It was bleeding immediately, so my friend Jenni ran quickly upstairs to get a washcloth as I stayed with Adam. The wound began to clot pretty quickly, so the bleeding wasn't so bad. I was afraid his hair was getting caught in it and that's why it was not bleeding as much.


After Adam had calmed down, we went home where I could inspect the wound a little closer. For those who are faint at heart, I'll spare you the details. But I did end up calling Adam's pediatrician, and they said bring him in. Luckily, there was a doctor in the office that day who could put stitches in instead of having to head to the ER. So, Jenni was an angel and took Tyler shopping with her boys while I drove Adam to the doctor's office.

Adam did great while the nurses cleaned and inspected his head. I was shocked at how calm he was while they were "messing" with it. They frantically put together everything they needed to do the stitches, and before we knew it, Adam was getting his numbing shot. That wasn't so pleasant. And Adam was freaking out when they made him lay down, so I climbed up on the exam table with him and laid down next to him. He was really OK until they had to hold his head still, and one of the nurses was holding her hand over his ear. He didn't like that he couldn't hear, so he began to panic. After the first stitch was done, Adam said he just wanted his thumb. We had been holding his arms down to avoid him flailing his arms around. Low and behold, we let him suck his thumb, and he was a perfect patient for the rest of the time! Bless his heart!

Adam has his stitches for 8 days, and he was also quite the trooper when we went back to get them taken out. I had taken Adam out for ice cream after he received the stitches, so he was begging for ice cream after the "procedure" to take them out. I thought, "Great, now he's going to think he gets ice cream every time we go to the doctor's office!" So, I took him anyway to Coldstone, and we had a great time.

I did not take a picture of his stitches, although, now I wish I had. But I would not have posted it on the blog for those of you who would not like to see that. :) You are welcome!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Karen,

I love you so much! Your boys are adorable!

I look forward to getting to know you more and more in the days and years to come and watching Adam and Tyler grow into awesome men in the Lord!! You have been entrusted with such a mission! I'm so proud of you for not taking it lightly and for being a woman who seeks God's heart!

Thankful to call you friend!

Tammy

The Applings said...

Oh Karen...this reminds me all too much of when I was a kid and got stitches for the first time -- and the mean doctor who made me lie down and be still for the stitches as I was squirming everywhere was none other than YOUR dad :) Yep, your dad even made my parents leave the room to try and get me under control -- he thought the threat of them leaving would calm me down...well, it just made me more upset! I'm glad Adam is okay and that you handled everything so well.

Greg and Callie said...

Oh Karen, I am so sorry! And I can completely empathize!! Nora ran into a corner earlier this year and it cut through to the bone on her forehead and we had to have 12 stitches. The worst part for us too was holding her still while they put in the stitches. Very traumatic! Hope he's feeling better!!!