Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tyler's Viral Rash

Tyler had his first cold of the season this month, and the poor guy is such a trooper.  Since all doctors now seem to agree not to give cold medicine to children under 2, we didn't give Tyler anything but ibuprofen for a mild fever.  And he did remarkably well, especially with the humidifier in his room during sleep time (and that's another story trying to clean those things out this year!).  


But, with Tyler's cold, he developed a rash each night.  It was the strangest thing I'd ever seen, and at first I was worried he had scarlet fever.  I had a piano student with strep and scarlet fever, so I was worried Tyler may have caught them both.  When I couldn't get a hold of my dad one night (a family doctor), I called Tyler's pediatrician after hours.  She confirmed that rashes can develop from any viral infection, and that's what it sounded like to her.  The next night, my dad told me the same thing, so I felt much more comfortable then.  

I had to take a picture to document the occasion, and this one was only one of the areas he would get a rash.  He also had them on his thigh, his upper arm, and his eyebrow - all at different times and days.

1 comments:

The Browning's said...

wow, i would've been really worried too! i hope he's feeling better!